Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pruning Season






I love fall. Leaves are turning. The air is cooler.  It makes me want to sit in a rocker and enjoy a hot cup coffee in my sweats. Ahhhh...

I don't think I could ever live somewhere I couldn't enjoy the seasons. I am rejuvenated with the changes in temperature, activities, and beauty each season brings.

I am learning to embrace the seasons of life, as well. As I look back, I have been guilty of anticipating the next season and the changes I thought would accompany it.

And now I have to guard myself against longing for a prior season, as I see clearly how quickly life is passing by.



Dana and I usually trim our trees after the leaves have fallen and the bare branches are exposed. You can clearly see the weak branches that need to be cut off and the healthy ones that need to be pruned. 

I used to think this was completely unnecessary.  I thought, "these trees look fine just like they are." Why trim them back?  It looks so...bare. 

But it doesn't take long to see just how beneficial and necessary this really is. When left unpruned they were out of shape, unhealthy looking and basically out of control.

As I looked up the definition and reason for pruning a tree, it resonated with me.

The main reasons for pruning ornamental and shade trees include safety, health, and aesthetics. In addition, pruning can be used to stimulate fruit production and increase the value of timber.

I'm learning more and more that my life is a branch in this tree of life.  I can add to or take away from it's beauty.  Will I allow myself to be cut back in order to be made stronger and more bountiful?  Will I live realizing that I am nothing without the nutrients of the vine?  I can try all I want to produce fruit on my own. But that's about as effective as trying my best to have blue eyes. It ain't happenin'.  For all I can do is remain in Him and He in me...and that is when the fruit will come.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful...  Remain in me, and I will remain in you.  No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.  Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." ~ John 15:1-4

I have decided in my life, I don't want to leave my tree as is. Sure it looks ok, but when left in the hands of the master Gardner, it will be perfectly shaped and plentiful.  For that is His will for my life.  And yours. Not only to acquire and enjoy the fruit for ourselves...but so others may enjoy as they cross our path. How, you ask?

Spend time with Him.
Get to know Him.
Realize you are loved by Him.
Grow in Him.

The Living Water will fertilize your life in amazing ways.




Life is short. Change is hard. Pruning is sometimes painful. But the rewards will be GREAT!

This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves as my disciples.  ~John 15:8

Thank you, Lord, for beautiful seasons.

Seasons of life. Seasons of change. Seasons of harvest.
May they all be glorifying to You!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment